Moms know that growing children have a bottomless pit in their stomach.
When a child gets old enough to go to the cupboard or fridge, and they don’t find what they are searching for; Moms hear the words, “Mom, you need to get groceries! I’m hungry!”
In Luke 9, Jesus was speaking to a crowd of people. It was getting late in the day, and His disciples were worried. They told Jesus that He should send the crowd away so they could get something to eat. The crowd was hungry.
Jesus response was:
“… ‘You give them something to eat!‘ …” (Luke 9:13 NASB)
The disciples had five loaves and two fish. This would not feed a crowd of 5,000; however, Jesus asked them to use what they had.
When the disciples offered up what they had in their hands, Jesus then multiplied it and fed the hungry.
We humans do not have the ability to feed the hungry without Jesus’ supernatural help; however, if we offer up what we have in our hands, He will do the miraculous and feed the hungry.
How often do people around us “go hungry” because we don’t feed them? I am not talking only about physically feeding a person; but, spiritually feeding them. How many people do you know that are spiritually hungry?
- Someone needs you to share with them how God can help them in their time of grief
- Someone needs encouragement to seek the Lord regarding an important decision in their life
- Someone needs to be shown who God is – that He is a God who loves them
- Someone needs to have the gospel shared with them so they don’t spend eternity in hell
- Someone is lukewarm and needs you to direct them back to God – true love cares enough to confront
- . . . the list is endless! There are so many hurting and needy hungry people. People need the Lord!
Every person who chooses to daily seek the Lord and put Him first in their life is fed by the Lord. You receive loaves and fish. Daily, God will speak to you if you spend time with Him in prayer and reading the Bible.
You then can take the food God gives you and share it with others who are hungry. Even though what you have may appear to be so small and insignificant, remember it is not about you or your abilities. It is about God’s ability to take your five loaves and two fish and to multiply it. He knows how to feed people if you will only offer up and give out what you have in your hand.
How often we think that only “the Pastor” or certain special people can feed the spiritually hungry. That is not true!
There are some things you need to be aware of when feeding people …
- Hungry people with no food cannot feed others. If you personally do not seek the Lord daily and have Him as the first love of your life, you have nothing to feed others. You need to be fed.
- If you eat unhealthy food — food that is tainted and not the pure word of God, you cannot pass on healthy food to others. Make sure the food you are eating is truth – read the Bible for yourself!
- You cannot be lazy and selfish and horde up food for yourself – you cannot seek only your own blessings. If you honestly spend time with God each day and surrender all of your life to Him, it is not possible to stay in this state. God will transform you!
- You cannot serve old wormy rotten food to others. They will not eat it. It is amazing how hungry people can so easily spot food that is not fresh! They can smell it too – it stinks! In the Old Testament, when God sent manna to eat, He daily sent a new supply. If they saved the food for the next day, it was full of worms and rotting. Only daily fresh food from God will feed hungry people. You cannot be hungry yourself and give out to others what you have saved from the past.
- You cannot be lacking in faith or not believe that God can use what you have to offer. What you have in your hand, if you are seeking God and He is first in your life, is all you need to start feeding others. God will multiply it and do the miraculous. He also will daily teach you and feed you more each day which in turn you then can give out more. Trust and believe that God will do what you cannot. It is not about you — it is about God. He used a donkey to speak in the Bible. He can use anyone who seeks Him and surrenders all their life to Him.
I pray this will instill in you such a deep desire for God that you will begin to literally run to God in prayer every day (several times a day); I pray you will read His Word everyday. I pray that you will thirst and hunger for Him and get fed everyday!
God is so good and loving! There is no one like our God! He is perfect in all His ways. Feed on God and then reach out and feed the hungry!
“Now when the day was ending, and the twelve came and said to Him, ‘Send the crowd away, that they may go into the surrounding villages and countryside and find lodging and get something to eat; for here we are in a desolate place.’
But He said to them, ‘You give them something to eat!‘ And they said, ‘We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless perhaps we go and buy food for all these people.’
(For there were about five thousand men.) And He said to His disciples, ‘Have them sit down to eat in groups of about fifty each‘.
They did so, and had them all sit down.
Then He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed them, and broke them, and kept giving them to the disciples to set before the people.
And they all ate and were satisfied; and the broken pieces which they had left over were picked up, twelve baskets full. (Luke 9:12-17)
~ Esther ~